Options

Dry hopping, which hops?

KiltedKilted Member Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi all, as a relative new brewer I am going to try dry hopping for the first time after a couple of "vanilla" batches of beer. (which were great). I have ordered Northern Brewer hops and plan to add it to Muntons Midas Touch to see what happens.
My question is relating to the next batch after that. I have Old Conkerwood waiting in the wings and wondered which hops to experiment with to get a sweeter flavour out of it rather than a bitter one?
PS. when is someone going to invent a non beer-belly beer?
Hopefully,
Kilted.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2012

Hi Kilted, with something like the Old Conkerwood people might often try something like the Northern Brewer or Fuggles, but these may be more bittering than what you are looking for, you might be best to experiment with something more intendeed for a lighter brew, try clicking on this link and scroll down to the suggested uses which gives an idea of what to use for each style of brew and see what you think;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/ingredients/products/halletau-vacuum-packed-leaf-hops

Not sure about the 'beer-belly free beer', it could make someone who invents it very wealthy though!

• Options
    KiltedKilted Member Posts: 3

Cheers guys, sorry it was a bit of an open question. Im going to have extra Northern Brewer hops left over but didnt think this was going to do much but make the conkerwood more bitter( past the point I would like) as I understand the conkerwood to have a bitter edge to it anyway. Having never tried the conkerwood before it was really just to get a heads up.

No matter what I choose it will be an education as the dry hopping technique is new to me. I am still "playing" with it until i get a good feel for quantities to use and the characteristics I can add  by using it. Cheers for the link and Im sure much pondering will ensue! I will probably not get it right first time but will hopefully learn more by making the mistakes.

Recently bought the book  "How to Brew" by John J. Palmer and what i have read and understood is good information, will follow his guidelines to start with. Are there any other publications like this one which give a good level of info without swamping the "beer noob"  that you would recommend?

Once again cheers for the info, thankyou for the site and forum, many questions answered already.

Kilted.

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    There are a few good books, sadly our range is rather limited and we will add some more publications asap to increase it. Hopefully others will have some suggestions they have found useful and recommend, and we will increase our book selection with some ones we think will be useful, although there are a few new good products awaiting adding to the range when we get chance!