Options

Flat ale but good head

gouldersgoulders Member Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Beer Brewing
Ive currently got a pressure barrel of Coopers real ale which is ready. However, when pouring a glass it comes out under pressure and I get a really good head (too much) which stays all the way down, but the ale itself is quite flat. It tastes great, but I feel it just needs a bit of carbonation. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    How long have you had the ale in the keg? It sounds like you have plenty of pressure as this can cause it to dispense quickly out of the tap, it is best to try and dispense slowly when there is a lot of pressure. It's good news about it tasting great, often if the brew is a little flat it is either down to the way the ale is, or it needs leaving longer in the keg or bottles to condition properly. If your ale hasn't been in the keg very long it may be worth leaving an extra couple of weeks and seeing how it improves
  • Options
    gouldersgoulders Member Posts: 3
    It has been in the barrel for 3 weeks, plus the week in the bucket.  I wasnt sure if the ale was simpy meant to be like that as its the first shot a home brewing.  I will leave it a couple more weeks and see what it is like then.