Options

first time home brewing

QaintwoodQaintwood Member Posts: 2
Hi I have just got started on my first brew --Woodfords Nelsons real ale kit 36 pints --but I read a wrong line on the instructions and after sprinkling the yeast on top of the primary fermenting vessel I gave it a bit of a stir, which after watching the video on this site I think I should not have done (I know I should have watched the video first)
Now after 24 hours there is no bubbles coming through the airlock .Can anyone tell me what I should do. All help would be appreciate

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Stirring the yeast into the beer mix wont have done any harm, sometimes people stir it in, sometimes they just sprinkle it on - the important thing is that it comes into contact with the liquid and not just the froth. As long as the brew is warm which it probably is at the moment, the yeast will start to work and fermentation will take place. Depending on various things such as the temperature, it will ferment, perhaps with or without froth/foam, and the brews don't always bubble gas through the airlock. It will begin to show signs of fermenting, perhaps bubbles in the liquid or a foam will develop, and by using your hydrometer you can check it is fermenting by taking readings - they will slowly go down as fermentation completes until a reading like Woodfordes state, in the case of Nelsons revenge around 1014 or below and constant. Just leave it to it for a few days and check your readings
  • Options
    QaintwoodQaintwood Member Posts: 2

Thanks for that I was probably worrying for nothing

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Any problems just let us know....