Options

Screw Caps

VonnyDVonnyD Member Posts: 4
edited May 2012 in Wine Making

Hi

I currently have two batches of wine fermenting at the moment and the first batch is due to be bottled early next week.  I am going to put the first batch into bottles with corks.  For the second batch, I was wondering if I could re-use some screw-top bottles that I have for my second batch of wine or would this result in the oxygenation of the wine?  Also, would I be able to re-use the old screw tops? 

Thanks

:-)

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Home brewers do use both wine bottles with corks and sometimes with screw caps, it is often down to what they have to hand! The most important thing is that the wine is sealed in an airtight bottle. As long as they seal the wine should be fine. To help increase the shelf life of the wine, it is best to use coloured bottles as they keep the light out, and always store your wine away from direct sunlight, ideally in the dark, regardless of what bottles you have used.

When re-using any old bottles and screw caps, it is very important to make sure they are clean by washing in sterilising solution such as VWP, and then rinsing well in clean water to remove any residue, in the same way as anything that is used in the brewing process should also be cleaned, to ensure the brew is not contaminated

• Options
    VonnyDVonnyD Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    tezmactezmac Member Posts: 1
    So it is ok to use old screw top wine bottles as long as they are clean, dose using old bottles affect the wines shelf life
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Yes you can re-use them, just make sure they are cleaned and make a good seal. The bottles must be airtight but should seal no problem