Options

Brewers Spring

AdyAdy Member Posts: 8
edited May 2012 in Beer Brewing

Hi,

I have brewed quite a few lager kits without any problems, so I decided to give the new Brewers Spring kits a try. I brewed a Brewers Spring mexican lager approx 10 weeks ago, everything seemed to go ok, although during bottling I noticed it was very dark brown in colour. It has been left to mature for approx 6 weeks and the lager is "fizzy" with a good head, a clear appearence and no bad odours, but it looks and tastes like fizzy bitter !!! I only used the ingredients that come with the kit, any ideas what could have happened ?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We will pass this one on to our suppliers, they have more experience with the Brewers Spring, and let you know what they say asap....
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

The news is in, but it's a little inconclusive, but does give some answers, they have more experience with this particular range;

Re. the colour - what we have here is a natural product with no artificial colouring. The end product that I have made does, I suppose, not look like a lager but is darker than some other lagers I have made.  In fact all the types are perhaps darker in colour than I would have thought. There is no way, however, that I would describe it as a 'fizzy bitter.' in terms of taste. The Mexican that I made was very moreish?

The colour being darker may be typical with this range, but the fizzy result would maybe be as a result of priming, as the secondary fermentation is where the carbonation develops. The fact it is clear and has no off smells is a good sign it is conditioning well, maybe with longer in the bottle the brew will lose some of it's initial fizz