Options

which bitter?

stevostevo Member Posts: 10
edited May 2012 in Welcome To The Forum
I'm wanting to brew a bitter like john smiths and wondered if anyone knew a good beer kit to use?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Whilst opinion varies, some brewers have said Coopers English Bitter resembles John Smiths, a copy of one review s here which is on the bottom of the listing;

this is a really nice pint I made it with spray malt which was recommended took 6 days to ferment 3 days after 2Nd fermentation I have a lovely pint which tastes like John smiths but slightly lighter in colour and has a good head. it tastes slightly fruity with a nice bitterness after taste. 

Click on this link; http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/coopers-english-bitter-new

• Options
    stevostevo Member Posts: 10
    That's great ill definitely try that one.

How long can I leave the brew before keging when primary fermentation has finished. Someone told me they used to leave it a week after it had finished to let it clear better. Would this work?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2012
    The problem with leaving it in the primary fermenter is that it is in with the dead yeast, which if left for too long could potentially make the beer take on an off flavour. Often brews are left in the fermenter a few days longer, perhaps until the weekend when there is more time to keg or bottle it, and it is not likely it would do any harm, but we wouldn't risk too long. What you could consider is transferring from the first fermenting vessel into a second vessel and leave as much sediment behind as possible and leave it for a couple of days to settle again. By then storing the barrel once it has been filled somewhere cooler this will help it clear. At the end of the primary fermenting stage you can also use beer finings to help it clear if needed