Options

Problems corking.

super6onesuper6one Member Posts: 5
edited April 2012 in Welcome To The Forum

Dear HBO

I have know finished my first batch of wine and I am delighted to report that it tastes superb.  Exactly as a Shiraz should.  My only issue was when bottling the wine, it was incredibly difficult to cork the bottle's.  I ruined several in doing so as they seemed to go in at an angle and just crush rather than enter the bottle.  I am using the corks supplied by yourselve and the two handed machine.  Watched a YOUTUBE video and it seems so easy.  What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Well great news on the Shiraz, and it will only improve after being bottled for a few weeks too. The corking problem is a little unusual, there's not too much to go wrong, and the two handled corker is a great device which helps you to apply plenty of pressure relatively easily. We have of course tested the corks we have with all the corking devices and our wine bottles and they are all fully compatible. Wine bottle necks can vary a little so it would be worth checking they are the right size corks for the necks on the bottles. The corks are the standard size 38 x 22mm. If the corks are going on an angle it might suggest that the corks are a little too large for the neck and they are bending away rather than being forced in and if they crush it would seem logical they are just too big to go in. We have checked some corks and they are the right size, it may be some bad corks but there have been no other reports and the ones we have here seem exactly the same as usual. What wine bottles are they and what is the internal diameter of the necks on them?
  • Options
    super6onesuper6one Member Posts: 5
    They are standard sized wine bottles.  They were from three different wine makers as well so I dont think its the neck sizes.  I got them in eventually but had to revert to a hammer to lighlty knock them in.  I have heard of people who soak their corks first to soften them up.  Is that maybe the problem?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

These particular corks don't usually need soaking as they have a coating on them, you could certainly give it a try to see if it makes any difference, it might soften them up, but usually it is not necessary