Options

First time help

dalecrumpdalecrump Member Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Beer Brewing

Hi a first timer here but your store is great and I've learnt a lot!

SO my question. Ive made the woodfordes wherry as instructed, it measured 1.040 on the 30th March. Unfortunately I couldn't get the temp high enough so it spent a week at 14-16 degrees. On the 7th April I managed to borrow one of them heat plates so I've had the temp at 22 since then. Took a reading on the 8th, it measured 1.010, then on the 10th 1.008, and finally today at 1.008 still. Does this sound about right, about ready to keg/bottle?

My concern is that during the whole 2 weeks, the airlock has not bubbled at all like I've heard it should. It got frothy on top under the lid and the lid did swell quite a bit too. Is it going to be ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited April 2012

Hi there, we have had a very similar situation with a Wherry, and it spent a lot longer than they recommend in the fermenter at a low temperature, we're pleased to say it suffered no ill effects and turned out great so that is good for you to know. The two things to check with a brew to make sure it is ready to transfer to a keg or bottles are that the primary fermentation stage is complete - the way you know is that the gravity readings on your hydrometer and nice and low (exactly like yours are) and that they stay the same and constant for a couple of days in a row (if the reading continues to go down check again the next day and so on), and also that any sign of bubbles rising from the beer have completely stopped. Even if the gravity readings are low, if bubbles still can be seen in the brew when you lift the lid and take a look, it needs a bit longer.

Your reading is even lower than Woodfordes state which is good, and have remained constant for 2 days in a row so you can now go ahead and transfer to a keg or bottles.

Airlocks don't always bubble, it can depend on a few things including how vigorously the brew ferments, however you will find that the lower temperatures will have got the brew off to a slower start and a more gentle ferment. The signs of froth and the pressure created which made the lid swell are both good signs of fermentation, now it's just a waiting game until it's ready to drink. As with all brews, the longer you can leave it in the bottles or a keg, the more it will condition and the flavours and carbonation improve

• Options
    dalecrumpdalecrump Member Posts: 2
    Ah that's great news, thanks for your speedy reply. I am just sterilising my keg and syphon at the minute ready.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Let us know how you get on wont you, cheers