Options

Chocolate & Vanilla Stout

BodgerBodger Member Posts: 1
edited April 2012 in Welcome To The Forum
I recently brewed Coopers Irish Stout with excellent results, I'm currently conditioning the ordinary Coopers Stout.  I've often fancied having a go at making a chocolate & vanilla stout which hopefully might taste like the one sold by Morrisons (brewed I think by the Titanic brewery?).  Has anyone tried adding ingredients such as chocolate etc to a standard stout kit with decent results?  

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited April 2012

If wanting to add extra flavours such as chocolate and vanilla, at the early stage when adding hot water and any sugars can be a good time, the hot water will help extra additiives disolve into the brew. It's hard to know exactly how much to add to get the right amount of infusion and taste you are aiming for, it is often a case of trial and error, and just experimenting - you just need to remember or make a note of how much/what you did so you know how much to adjust it the next time.

You can also try along the lines of a hop tea in the way you would with hops, boil water up with the ingredients you want to add, and then add it and mix it in with the wort before leaving to ferment