Options

Barrel leak???

MiN237MiN237 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2012 in Frequently Asked Questions

Hi, just transferd my first brew to the pressure barrel, all seem to be going well but I have noticed a small leak from the tap.  I would say maybe a few drops per day.

Is this normal or have I got a leak?

Comments

• Options
    loadyloady Member Posts: 11
    do you have the tap fully turned all the way ?..if so just nudge it back ever so slightly...theres a chance you have 'overclosed' the valve as such..i might be completley wrong but worth a try
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    spot on loady, the taps are a bit like washing machine taps, they are off at 90 degrees, if you go past that then it can slightly open it again in some cases. The other thing to check is that the tap is screwed into the barrel fully if it is dripping from around the joint rather than out of the end of the tap - in this case you just need to give the whole tap a turn with a spanner or pair of grips and this will tighten it up and compress the black rubber washer on the joint - hand tight is not enough, as the barrel builds up considerate pressure once sealed. The end of the tap spins independently so you can twist the dispensing nozzle so it points down after tightening. Just ensure your cap is fully sealed and airtight too, ideally with a bit of Vaseline or similar on the thread, as the barrel must stay airtight and not let any air in