Options

woodfordes wherry question

loadyloady Member Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Welcome To The Forum
I have a brew of NOG going, it was quite straight forward, today i got hold of an extra fermenting vessell to make up the wherry that came with the kit...looking at the sachet of yeast and reading the instructions to make up, there seems to be some contradiction, the sachet of yeast said about mixing in hot water with a little wort then adding to the main wort, the instructions for the beer said to sprinkle on the top, i sprinkled it on and it doesnt seem to have mixed very well, it looks like it has clumped together, will this disolve itself ?..i took a reading after and its bang on 1040

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    You can do either so you've nothing to worry about - some people just sprinkle it on top of the wort and others prefer to mix it in. The main thing if sprinkling it on top is to make sure it comes into contact with the beer, not just any froth on top, but as long as it is in contact with the liquid the yeast will get going and begin fermentation. You can monitor progress by taking a hydrometer reading and it will continue to decrease as fermentation completes. On rare occasions when fermentation stops before the gravity reading is low enough, a gentle stir can get it going again too