Options

sediment level dropped...

loadyloady Member Posts: 11
edited April 2012 in Welcome To The Forum
my first brew online, it has been 7 days today since i made it up, i have only today been able to measure the levels as i had the wrong hydrometer supplied, i now have the correct one and it is reading below recommended levels but i have only done the one reading....i noticed however, the sediment level has gone down quite a bit, the beer looked cloudy in the trial jar, it has not been knocked, moved or disturbed in any way...should i leave it for a few days more or will it spoil ?..i have the bottles ready to bottle, i also have a sachet of fining...should i add this, stir it up and leave for a couple of days before bottling ? not really sure whats going in there.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Taking  a second hydrometer reading just gives you peace of mind that it has stopped moving, and ideally below what they recommend the reading should be at. The sediment will continue to compact and the brew clear more as fermentation completes. The finings are not usually necessary but if you use them it will not do it any harm, just follow the directions on the finings themselves. The brew will not usually completely clear, and you can expect a little sediment in the bottles, but leaving it a day or so will help reduce it, and transfer over into the bottles with minimum disturbance will help to make the finished brew nice and clear