Options

Cellar 7 primary fermenting stage

irishmarkirishmark Member Posts: 2
edited April 2012 in Wine Making
Hi all - currently working on my first ever beer and wine brews.

Does anyone have any experience with brewing the cellar 7 Pinot grigio kit and whether I should be expecting a froth formation?
I had temp issues which I had been speaking to HBO about where the temperature was sitting at 16-18 but I have managed to get this up to 20-21 currently.

Just worried that nothing appears to be happening in comparison to the beer which is full of froth.

Should I stir it perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Different batches behave in different ways, some froth like mad and some hardly move, it varies from brew to brew and on the temperatures too. Don't expect them to act the same, the one true way of knowing how the brews are progressing and when they are ready to transfer, is by using a hydrometer and checking the readings. The use of a hydrometer is recommended so you can be sure it's finished it's first stage, especially when bottling as there is no safety valve to release any excess pressure which might be created if bottled too early. Just leave it for a few days and then take readings, once gravity readings are achieved like the manufacturers recommended, you can then proceed to the next stage with peace of mind

• Options
    irishmarkirishmark Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - I'm please to say its started bubbling in the airlock from late morning and not stopped since so I presume that's a good sign :-)
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That's a good sign that primary fermentation is well under way, sometimes when the vessel is 100% airtight the pressure needs to build up first, then it will begin forcing gas through the water in the airlock. Just leave it to it for a fdew days, and then take your readings as the kit suggests, you will have a great wine ready in a few days - but as always, leave it in the bottles for a few weeks if possible for the wine to improve further and to enjoy it at it's best