Options

Sugar vs Beer Enhancer vs Spray Malt??

CrunchieCrunchie Member Posts: 7
edited March 2012 in Beer Brewing

I've just bought the Better Brew Czech Pilsner kit from HBO and the description states use 1kg of sugar, beer enhancer or spray malt with this kit.

But which is best?? Also would you use different sugars etc depending on the type of beer you're going to brew?

Cheers

Ian

Up Next : TBD
FV : Woodfordes Sundew
Conditioning : Better Brew Czech Pilsner
Better Brew Yorkshire Bitter

Drinking : Coopers IPA (adapted with Fuggles and East Kent Golding Hops)

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited March 2012

People tend to often use ordinary sugar due to it being cheaper, then some upgrade to brewing sugar on future batches to see the improvement. We are definately seeing an increase in the sales of brew enhancers and spraymalts though, we use them and recommend them. We often get asked how to improve the body and head on beers and lagers and enhancers are a great way of doing this, it might be an extra couple of £'s compared to brewing sugar, but spread over the cost of say 40 pints of beer, the finished result is definately worth it we believe. The Coopers Brew enhancer 1 is best suited to the Czech Pilsner. If wanting to try a spraymalt, use one suach as the light, but just make sure you are getting the right quantity, as not all are 1kg like the brew enhancers are.

The Coopers enhancers are available in two types, enhancer 1 is more for lighter brews, and enhancer 2 for the darker, where a maltier taste is wanted. Spraymalts are available in different types, ranging from the light, to wheat and up to extra dark. People tend to get them to give a slightly different flavour to their brew, they may be making a second batch and thought they would like it to be a bit hoppier, or a bit darker or fuller flavoured etc, so then experiment by adding a spraymalt as additional flavouring to make it more to their individual preference.

The Better Brew instructions on the Czech lager suggest brewing sugar, and say you may reduce the quality of the lager if using only ordinary sugar, but as this is a new range of kits feedback is yet to properly filter back on them. Enhancer 1 will only improve the results though

• Options
    Thank you for the information. It's very helpful. I have just bought the Muntons beer kit enhancer though not the Coopers. Will this be as good or should I save it for some other brew and get the Coopers enhancer 1 for the Pilsner brew?

• Options
    The Muntons is very similar, we have made a Coopers Cerveza lager recently with the Muntons beer kit enhancer and it turned out great, so we can say with certainty it will be good with the Pilsner. Coopers always say to use their enhancers with their own Coopers tins of ingredients, but any enhancer or spraymalt can be used to your preference
  • Options
    Cheers for the info. I'll use the Muntons beer enhancer and if you like let you know how it goes

• Options
    great yes, do let us know how you get on, with either bottling or kegging leave it afew weeks if possible and it will improve further with better body and carbonation
  • Options

Hiya,

I barreled the pilsner on 23/4 and whilst it has a very good head it is not clearing even after over 10 weeks!! What did I do wrong? Is a pilsner one that takes a long time to clear and condition. The taste good be a bit better too.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

• Options
    The pilsners can take a fairly long time to condition, they can certainly take 8 weeks, we've had one here which was almost given up on, but a couple of weeks later it finally came good and turned out to be a very nice drink. It you bottled towards the end of April, we recommend leaving it somewhere cool for another few weeks, and see how it turns out. If the taste is not bad or off then it would be a good sign it is not ruined, so bear with it. The temperature can play a part, so try and ensure it is somewhere cool to help it clear more quickly
  • Options
    Ok ta I'll leave it  a bit longer and see what happens. I keep my barrels in the garage. Unfortunately I don't have a nice cool cellar in this house. it doesn't get too warm in there as it's on the north side of the house.