Options

Bottles or barrel for Nelsons Revenge kit

tomstockertomstocker Member Posts: 15
edited March 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi home brewers online, : ), I'd just like your opinions on whether I should bottle up my Nelsons Revenge or leave it in a barrel.  Would the 2nd ferment leave it a bit too gasseeee in the barrel for a real ale ? This will be the  first no sugar kit I've brewed so I'm hoping it turns out good!

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

It's really down to personal preference, generally speaking we find people often put ale in a barrel, probably because they don't need to chill it down in a fridge like you might with a lager so you don't need the convenience of the smaller bottles, and if you want it more carbonated the sealed bottles will seal the pressure in as there is no safety release valve on them. Bottles are generally regarded as better if planning to store the brew for longer periods as it can give the longest shelf life. The secondary fermentation is an important part of the process, so as long as you prime the keg or bottles with the amount of sugars that Woodfordes suggest, the brew will turn out as they intended it to. If anything the barrel will be less carbonated, especially as you consume the brew, and you might find you need to add additional CO2 by injecting it into the barrel to help keep it dispensing quickly, and give it a bit of head as it pours into the glass. The entire Woodfordes range is very popular, we're pretty sure you'll like it, and it has many repeat customers. The long awaited 'Sundew' from their range is now promised in the next few weeks as a home brew kit and should be on sale soon too! Let us know how you get on....