Options

Yeast nutrient

garygary Member Posts: 31
edited February 2012 in Frequently Asked Questions
Recently seen a brewing video where they applied yeast nutient to the wort prior to pitching the yeast . I will be brewing a new batch of coopers lager with a saaz hoptea and was wondering if i used youngs yeast nutrient would that be ok ?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2012

If you wanted to add a yeast nutrient to the wort for the yeast, then Youngs yeast nutrient would probably be fine. It is generally used more commonly in wine making but it would assist the yeast in the same way here. The yeast wouldn't normally need any extra help to ferment in the wort, especially with a can mix, although it would probably ensure a rapid and complete fermentation. It would be interesting to hear how you get on

• Options
    MattPMattP Member Posts: 14
    I'm told that yeast nutrient can be a good idea when using ordinary granulated sugar for brewing, instead of brewing sugar, as it can be lower in the necessary trace elements ?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

Wherever possible we always recommend using a brewing sugar, enhancer or spraymalt, as they ferment more easily in the brew and have improved results, the FG readings can be achieved and no other nutrients are required. A commonly asked question is answered here with a bit more info on the sugar;

What is the difference between Brewing Sugar and normal household sugar?
    Brewing sugar is Dextose Monohydrate. The main difference in the use is that it is a Mono Saccharide (one molecule of glucose) as opposed to household sugar which is a Di-saccahide (2 molecules). This means that fermentation using brewing sugar will start quicker and ferment cleaner.