Options

magnum cider kit

strathclydestrathclyde Member Posts: 1
edited March 2012 in Cider Making

i'm brewing magnum cider for the first time i started it on monday night.there was no activity in thu

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2012

Hi, it is often a bit more quickly than that, but can vary because of a number of things, what is the temperature it is being kept at? If it is on the cold side this would cause a slower fermentation, with the Magnums they recommend somewhere in the region of 20-28 degrees C, any cooler and the fermentation will take longer. If you're brewing in a cold place, it may be worth considering a heater for it, Brew Belts do the job, or we always recommend a 25 litre heater tray which is what we use as they help brews to ferment nice and quickly and hassle free

Brewing sugar rather than ordinary sugar tends to dissolve more quickly and ferments more easily which can help

As it may be brewing fairly slowly, and this wont do it any harm by the way, we recommend you make sure it has completed its primary fermentation fully before transferring to a keg or bottles, it may be longer than the 7-8 days they suggest, and the hydrometer reading should be 1000 or lower, as well as showing no further activity in the airlock or within the fermenting vessel

• Options
    baker2307baker2307 Member Posts: 5

I too seem to be having the same issue however mine is in a room kept at roughly 20 degrees C then wrapped in the blanket. after 7 days however the reading is still 1030. Would it be ok to move this closer to a radiator which comes on for the odd hour here and there or should I just let it do it's thing naturally and then check again in a few days?

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2012
    These particular kits are recommended as OK for up to 28 degrees, which is fairly high, so doing anything to get it a bit warmer would probably help the fermentation complete more quickly. If you check the hydro reading from time to time the reading should be going down and reducing towards 1000, this would be a good sign it is fermenting and confirm it is just more slowly than they suggest. If the readings have stopped reducing, fermentation would need re-starting, however there is no reason to think that is needed just yet, so we recommend keeping an eye on the readings and seeing how they go