Options

Coopers larger

garygary Member Posts: 31
edited January 2012 in Home-Brew-Online Forum
Just sampled a bottle of coopers lager which i used there pep bottles supplied with the kit .Its been bottled for about a fortnight which the kit recomends you should leave it before tasting .Seemed flat as i first poured it with not that much life but i gave the glass a quick swirl and there was obvious signs there was carbonation there ,they supplied a leafet with the kit saying only one carbanation drop per 500ml bottle. Should i leave it a month or more before re-sampling .One other thing it didnt have a light mouth feel like other largers it almost felt like a draught beer.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The lager will definately improve in flavour as it matures, whilst manufacturers give fairly short timescales for drinking, it is drinkable but it is usually best to leave for at least a few more weeks for the flavours to improve, sometimes in the early stages it can lack depth of flavour. With the standard Coopers lager, it is intended to be easy drinking and with mass appeal, so as not to put anyone off and be a good introduction to home brewing, whilst some people stick with it, others personal preference is for different styles, such as the European lager, or Cerveza, which have more distinctive tastes as you might expect. The carbonation will improve with more time, it is in it's relatively early stages, so leaving it a month you should definately see a good improvement. Coopers themselves say 'Storing (conditioning) your beer beyond two weeks and up to at least three months should see the flavour improve, the bubbles reduce in size and the yeast deposit becomes more compact.' With future batches you can experiment to your liking with carbonation, 2 drops per 500ml bottle can be added at the bottling stage, but that's trial and error to get it how you like it best, and can vary from brew to brew