Options

Is this temperature going to cause problems?

garygary Member Posts: 31
edited January 2012 in Beer Brewing
Its the first time i have brewed woodfordes wherry ale and the room in which im brewing it gets pretty cold ,so im using a brew belt to maintain the temperture. but the belt maintains a constant temperture around 22 to 24 degrees,the brew states that it should be between 18 and 20 . will this mean that it will just speed up fermatation or will it harm my brew?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    With a brew it needs to be a reasonable temperature to help it ferment, it is common for people to use BrewBelts with kits such as the Woodfordes range, with no problems, so you will be fine using the heater, and just monitor the hydrometer readings in the usual way. It will probably ferment fairly quickly, and to help keep the temperature a bit lower try sliding the BrewBelt higher up the fermenting vessel, rather than in the middle or lower down. If the belt is quite high up the temperature will probably drop a few degrees
  • Options
    garygary Member Posts: 31
    thats great thanks for the advice ,gaz
  • Options
    lofty256lofty256 Member Posts: 13
    I have done a woodfordes admirals reserve and a headcracker and both @ 24 Degrees. it ferments fast but just stur to make sure you dont have a stuck fermentation and the stur will re activate the yeast!.. Admirals reserve went great with no probs but the headcracker bubbled out the airlock for 2 days then died!.. ie vigerouse then stuck.. resulting in beer that should have been 7% being only 5.5%