Options

flat beer

beermonsterbeermonster Member Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in Beer Brewing
just made my first batch using a youngs beer buddy kit, I've used a pressure barrel, but the beers seems quite flat. when you first open the tap it gushes out then stops and then slowly glugs out of the tap resulting in no head on the beer, would it help if I used a co2 injector system?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited January 2012
    There's a couple of things to know here, firstly just make sure that the barrel is fully airtight, a good seal needs to be made around the cap, so lubricate with petroleum jelly (Vaseline or similar), it is essential that air is not getting into the barrel as this will make the beer flat and shorten it's shelf life. When the brew is transferred from the fermenting vessel into the barrel some sugar is added which causes 'secondary fermentation' and helps to carbonate the brew. As the beer is dispensed it continues to carbonate the barrel by producing CO2, but depending on the brew and how quickly the contents are consumed, it doesn't always have time to re-pressurise the barrel. This is where the CO2 injector cap comes in useful, if you find that the flow of beer is reduced and slows right down, and then it starts to draw in air through the tap (the glugging noise you hear) then injecting a bulb of CO2 as needed will stop this and restore the flow. The beer coming out under pressure helps give the beer some head to it, and stopping the barrel drawing in air into the barrel ensures it has a good shelf life and stops the beer going stale from contact with air.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advise, I did release some pressure after secondary fermentation as the tap started to leak slightly as the pressure built up so much, think I'll try some co2 tomorrow.
  • Options
    A drip can sometimes start from around the washer on the tap, it is the weakest point of the barrel, but this can be stopped by giving it a slight nip up with a spanner or a pair of grips, which just compresses the washer (usually black) slightly and makes it fully seal. Don't over tighten though, just a slight nip at a time and check from time to time. The tap itself spins independently and can be twisted round to face down if needed. Sometimes the barrels can be under quite a bit of pressure, and as a precaution people do let some out to be on the safe side, as sometimes the safety valves release at quite high pressures, and can even become blocked by sediment, etc in extreme cases, but just adding a CO2 bulb as and when you feel it is needed is a good way of controlling it yourself
  • Options
    I changed the barrel top over today for one with a pin valve and used a co2 bulb and everything is fine now, just a shame I'll have to wait till later to try as have to go to work soon, wouldn't be good to go to work smelling of beer especially as I'm a lorry driver
  • Options
    just got home and tried it, not bad at all, very impressed, will definitely be doing more home brewing
  • Options
    just tried some more tonight and its flat again, took 3 and half pints off lastnight and I've had to use another co2 bulb tonight, it is in the garage and only about 1degree above freezing in there, could it be too cold or should it still produce its own co2 still? I only used normal granulated sugar for priming, could this be the problem?
  • Options
    A CO2 cartridge injected into the barrel provides some additional pressure, but it can vary how long they last, if drawing off a few pints at a time as the barrel gets lower the effectiveness of the CO2 is less, and stored in lower temperatures the beer can take longer to carbonate itself. Somewhere a bit warmer would help with CO2 production, but it is common to store brews in cool places, but they must not freeze. Ordinary granulated sugar is fine for priming, brewing sugars and enhancers do dissolve more easily and manufacturers reckon improve head retention and mouth feel, but ordinary sugar will do the job of priming a barrel for secondary fermentation. It's hard to say with any certainty on the CO2 as it varies from brew to brew, temperature plays a part, just make sure that the lid is securely in place so no CO2 is escaping around the thread, and if you can keep it somewhere a bit warmer this would probably help it naturally carbonate
  • Options
    thanks, I'll try wrapping the barrel in the garage, to see if this helps. The cap seems fine I used vaseline on the seal and it seems ok, think I'm just too impatient and want to drink it straight away.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    A common problem which we too share! Wrapping will most probably take the chill off it, and remember these brews do much improve for allowing to mature and condition for a few weeks, the flavours will definately get better. We have noticed a similar kind of pressure problem with ours when stored in a cold place, and warming them up is helping