Options

tap on fermentation bucket

kenwoodkenwood Member Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in General Home Brew Chat
can anyone tell me if there is any drawbacks fitting a tap to the bottom of a fermentation bucket to drain off the beer, saving time not sterilizing syphoning gear.

Comments

• Options
    challis86challis86 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    (i am quite new to home brewing) well i have only done 3 brews using a tap but what i noticed was my first i did i had lots of the crap off the bottom in my bottles so i read up on this and found that if you place something under the bucket to tip it slightly back few days before you are ready to bottle it solves this prob hope that helps
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The one main drawback is the potential to leak from around the tap, so just make sure it is fully tightened and secure. If you then use the tap to fill bottles it can mix a lot of air in with the brew as it pours in, so ideally instead of just getting a tap and backnut, think about opting for a little bottler - they are nifty devices for simple one handed filling - they come with a tap and tube for filling the bottles, and operate by pushing the bottles on to it, and stop filling when you release - no turning on or off! And at £6.95 is a bargain; http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/little-bottler-complete You would need to sterilise it though....