Options

Brewbuddy kit - a few questions/comments

Mo06Mo06 Member Posts: 7
edited January 2012 in Beer Brewing
Have received my Brewbuddy kit, a couple of questions:

There is no airlock, how does the excess gas escape when the fermanation bucket is sealed ? Do I need to buy an airlock and drill the lid ?

Regarding the hydrometer, is the plastic hydrometer container meant to be used as a test jar, or do I need to go and buy one ?

There is no mixing spoon/paddle, is this normal ? Again looks like I need to buy one.

There is no thermometer. Again looks like I need to buy one.

A bit disappointed that I cannot start my brew without first going shopping, if I'd known that I needed these things then I would have ordered them at the same time, as I am in France and it won't be easy to find such things....

I think the Brewbuddy description is a little misleading...

Comments

• Options
    From the site:

"the kit includes all the equipment required to brew 40 pints of delicious beer or lager. "
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Thanks for your feedback, the BrewBuddy kits are designed by our suppliers to be the cheapest way for people to give home brewing a try, and to give them mass appeal, and whilst it's not for everyone, we believe most people will be able to make a batch of beer, lager or cider with this kit, some sugar - which it clearly states is needed, and some tap water, without too much difficulty. To help customers we have listed the actual contents in the kit on our listing so they know beforehand exactly what is included in the pack. This kit is not intended for use with an airlock, there is no need to drill the lid or fit grommets into it, you just need to loosely cover the fermenter with the lid. Fermentation at this stage does not need to be airtight, it just needs to be loosely covered to keep contaminants out. Use of the hydrometer is not essential, but they include one for those who prefer to use one, as it is more accurate and readings can be taken for 3 days in a row to make sure it has stopped changing and has completed. The simplest way to use it is to make sure it is clean and pop it straight into the fermenting vessel and take the reading. Trial jars are available for those who want to use them, but it is not necessary. They do not include a spoon in the kit, as the mixture can be stirred with anything to hand, usually a kitchen utensil which they must believe most people have available. The thermometer they also do not include, although if you don't have a thermometer which many people may not, once the water has all been added, add the yeast - their aim here is not to add the yeast to a hot brew, but once 19 litres of cold water has been added to the mix it will bring the temperature to around the correct level, it's not as precise as it may sound here. Your brew now just needs to be left to ferment at room temperature.

The manufacturers could add in all kinds of other items and extras, but this would price the kit out of the market which it is aimed at, and would bring it in to line with our own comprehensive kits which come complete with absolutely everything but water, which is not what they have tried to do here. If people find they enjoy the brewing process, they can then use this BrewBuddy kit as a good base to add all the little extras, as the BrewBuddy is made up of good quality equipment to begin with, which whilst not essential, make life easier if you are going to brew regularly. We believe their aim is to make the brewing of a first 40 pint batch affordable to many, with a pint working out at around 70 pence each, plus 1kg of sugar and tap water, and further batches can be made for the cost of a refill tin and another 1kg of sugar, making subsequent batches start around 40 pence a pint. Yes better kits are available, but for the money it does what it says, but you do need something to stir it with! There are genuine customer reviews on each page of the BrewBuddy kits which have been positive, so overall we believe they have their place in the market, which is why we stock them
  • Options
    Thanks for the info regarding the airlock, I guessed as much.

I have a decent thermometer from my photography days, but cannot seem to find the blummin' thing.

My local department store has a food thermometer for the princely sum of €40, more that the price of the entire kit... oh well...

I understand that the kit is basic, but it's a bit naughty to claim that it contains everything that you need, when the instructions include this following:

"Leave to stand until the temparature reaches 18 to 21 C"

Now, I'm not a pedant, but I challenge anyone to be able to judge 18 - 21C without a thermometer... it cannot be done.

Anyway, I'll give it a go, my own fault I guess for not reading the kit description more carefully....

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited January 2012
    Of course we want you to be happy with your purchase, and your comments will be passed on to Youngs the manufacturers of this kit for them to consider. With regard to the temperature we can confirm though that once you have added the cold water to the brew the temperature will be fine for adding the yeast, it's not as critical as it sounds from the instructions and they haven't phrased the instructions as we would have done, but to help with your concerns over temperature we are sending one of our LCD thermometers which is a useful thing, it simply adheres to the outside of the fermenting vessel as it is self-adhesive, and shows at a glance what the temperature of the contents is. We hope this helps, and do let us know how your brew turns out wont you
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for that.

Update:

My brew has been going for 4 days, in a fairly warm kitchen (24C).

I have been letting the excess gas out every few hours or so, when the lid is under a bit of pressure, hope this is going OK. Seems to be producing less gas today.

I have just taken a hydrometer reading, 1.010.

Had a taste and it does not taste terrible/contaminated. Definately beer (!)

I will test again in 24 hrs and if the reading is the same, will think about bottling it.

I may buy an airlock before my next brew, as I think being able to see when fermenation has finished would be useful.
  • Options
    Now my problem is too few bottles, I'll have to buy (and drink..)) more beer...