Options

New World Saison review

DeanojevoDeanojevo Member Posts: 58
edited January 2019 in Beer Reviews
Now first to confess. I didn't buy this from home brew online (sorry!). I got it with a gift certificate I was given for Christmas for a local shop.
However I hope you don't mind me posting this review on my favourite online shop!

I usually brew lagers but fancied something different but still a little lager-ish. So was recommended this.

It comes with two pouches of the malt, one packet with the hops. The brewing sugar required and sugar for priming in a barrel, though I didn't do this, so I used granulated sugar to prime in bottles.

Was very easy to make. All the ingredients mixed and dissolved very easily.

This needs to brew at a higher temp than the usual temp for lager. I had it at between 24 and 26deg using a brew mat and brew belt in an outside building. It was very active at the airlock after a few days and took about 10 days altogether. I added the hops in for the last 3 days. I then bottled and primed with a heaped teaspoon of sugar.

I left them at room temp for 10 days then transferred them to the fridge for a further 10 days.

The result is really nice. I tried one after a week in the fridge and then again after 10 days and the difference was amazing.

It has a subtle sweetness and bitterness to it and for me the hops being on for three days was spot on. It's just lager-ish enough for me too. It's got a nice fizz to it and it keeps a lovely creamy head all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Though I do use a nucleated glass.

I would go as far as saying this has been my favourite brew so far!

Definitely will be doing this kit again!

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Nice one.

I have tried that kit it is indeed very good. I know I keep banging on about them, but the Young's American craft kits are really good, they make very nice beer.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Great news it has turned out so well, leaving that extra few days will help the flavours improve too. As Budforce says the range is very good and make some great brews, the IPA is the most popular in this range. Don't worry where the kits come from either, we love to hear about all brews and know there are lots of shops out there to choose from!
  • Options
    DeanojevoDeanojevo Member Posts: 58
    Been a while since I did this, but not logged on for a while.

Just thought I'd add a bit to the review.

After a couple of months in the bottle, I noticed the taste started to get a bit sweeter and tinny.

A couple of weeks later still and it became undrinkable unfortunately.

I left a bottle in the fridge for a further month and it was definitely worse, so it doesn't seem as though this lasts well in the bottle and it needs to be drunk fairly quickly.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Thanks for the update, it is unusual for them not to last a while in bottles, Budforce has made a few of these and may be able to add some wisdom
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    HBO_Staff said:

Thanks for the update, it is unusual for them not to last a while in bottles, Budforce has made a few of these and may be able to add some wisdom

Sorry I have not been checking these forums as often, I have no idea to answer the question but I have not had any problems myself leaving these for months. I often leave a bottle over and have it like 6 months after.

Odd one....
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA