Options

water and clearing

benwilkinsonbenwilkinson Member Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi guys. first time brewing for me and just before i get started there is a few things i wondered if i could get help with? Firstly is clorine in the water, I live in central london and although my water actually tastes great for the area is there a way of getting rid off excess clorine other than just boiling and letting cool.

The second thing that came to mind is that im not bottling the beer i have the 5 gallon keg so whats the best way to check the beer is clearing without loosing pressure by opening the top.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    hi there, most people just use water straight out of the tap, but to help when using tap water you can leave it to stand for 24 hours before using it, this helps it lose some of the things that various water companies add to it including Chlorine which will evaporate, which could affect the taste. To keep an eye on how well the beer is clearing, after a couple of weeks in the barrel you could dispense a little into a glass from the tap and let it settle, and you will be able to see how clear it is. Remember though, the longer you leave it in the barrel, the better it will taste as the flavours improve as it conditions!