My first brew, Youngs Difintive Lager!

DeanojevoDeanojevo Posts: 51Member
OK, so I like my Lager!
So when I was given this kit for Xmas I was intrigued. So I purchased a starter kit and a bottle capping thingy thing, as well as some Beer kit enhancer (to use instead of white sugar) some carbonation drops for bottling and a heat pad ( will be brewing in an outside utility room).
Now I am just going round trying to round up as many beer bottles as I can from anywhere I can! So far I have bottles in many shapes and sizes!

Im not too tempted to add anything else in at this stage.

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Posts: 1,884Administrator
    Excellent, let us know what you think to the finished results - the beer kit enhancer will improve the flavour, and the cappers work with most standard sized bottles
  • DeanojevoDeanojevo Posts: 51Member
    Thanks. I've tred the capper on all the different bottle types I have (from 568ml cider bottles to the green stubby ones) and all seem good.
    Thanks.

I might give a cider a go next. Trouble is I keep having to buy bottles of beer and drinking them to get the bottles.....what a shame!
    Just a thought. Can I add spray malt to this as well? Will increase the ABV?

Thanks
    Spray malt is dried malt and is a good way to add flavour and body to a brew, usually if making a beer that asks for sugar adding then you can add either sugar, or brew enhancer, or spraymalt. If you add spraymalt as well as sugar then this is extra sugars that will ferment and increase the alcohol strength
    So I can add the full amount of brew enhancer and spraymalt?
    Definitive suggest to add 1kg, so you can add either 1kg of sugar, or 1kg of enhancer, or 1 kg of spraymalt. If you add more of these or both then it will be stronger
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Posts: 243Member
    With your bottles, I know it must be very terrible to have to drink all that beer to get them, I cannot even imagine... Haha.

But I asked my local village hall that have a bar and they let me take as many empty glass bottles as I like, if you got a pub near etc.

I've never brewed lager, but those Young's kits really are great, their range of American style beers are excellent.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
    Cheers Bud.
    I've asked one local pub and sadly they said I can't. However quite a few guys I work with enjoy a drink so am getting a steady supply! I fact one guy has just given me three 660ml Stella bottles!

I'm gonna try a pale ale next and then get a cider going ready for summer!
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Posts: 243Member
    Oh yeah you should, the Young's American pale ale is superb.

http://www.home-brew-online.com/beer-kits-c1/american-craft-brewing-apa-american-pale-ale-beer-kit-p1486

Cannot rate this enough.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
    > @BUDFORCE said:
    > Oh yeah you should, the Young's American pale ale is superb.
    >
    > http://www.home-brew-online.com/beer-kits-c1/american-craft-brewing-apa-american-pale-ale-beer-kit-p1486
    >
    > Cannot rate this enough.

Cheers Bud.

That's another one on the list!

Bottle collection is getting healthier by the day as well!
    Well I decided to buy 40 of the PTE bottles off this site as I want to start my brew ASAP. So at least I can carry on collecting glass bottles whilst using the plastic ones!

I've got one of the flexible heat pads as I will be brewing in an outside building. Will this keep my brew at a steady temp or will I have to keep monitoring it and switching it on and off accordingly?

Cheers
    It is best to keep a regular check on the temperature, perhaps use a self adhesive LCD strip. You may find if it is cold the it wont heat it enough, so you may need to carefully insulate the vessel too
    Great. Thanks.

What is the bare minimum temp to keep this fv at?
    I've got the starter kit from you so I have the thermometer.
    That's great, Definitive Lager is probably best no lower than 17 degrees C, any lower and it will ferment quite slowly
    Well the brew is on! Everything seemed to go OK apart from when I stirred the yeast in it went clumpy. Don't know if that's normal. Let's see how that turns out!
    Everything seems to be going OK. It's gone foamy on top. A few steady bubbles coming through the airlock and the lid of the fv is domed. Also smells like beer. Took a reading when I started of 1045 on Saturday night. Took another Tuesday night and it's dropped to 1030 so I'm pretty happy with that.
    The fv stopped after 6 days. I had a reading of 1.014 three days running. The final reading should've been 1.005 according to the instructions. This shouldn't be an issue should it? I added an additional 250g of granulated sugar to the brew enhancer when starting out and I bottled it with the drop and left it carbonating for 5 days at room temp before moving it to a cool place (12 c) to clear where it's been for about 4 days.

Are those final readings anything to worry about?
  • WCGWCG Posts: 62Member
    Starting at 1.045 & finishing at 1.014, that would be just under 4.1% ABV
    The instructions say it should finish at around 4.5% ABV using 1Kg sugar.
    Possibly the kit yeast didn't brew out all the sugar?

I'd say not to worry about it...I recently did a doubled-up batch of Brewferm Christmas Ale which should have finished at 1.01 ( 7.5% ABV ) but actually finished at 1.016 ( 7.2% ABV )
    > @WCG said:
    > Starting at 1.045 & finishing at 1.014, that would be just under 4.1% ABV
    > The instructions say it should finish at around 4.5% ABV using 1Kg sugar.
    > Possibly the kit yeast didn't brew out all the sugar?
    >
    > I'd say not to worry about it...I recently did a doubled-up batch of Brewferm Christmas Ale which should have finished at 1.01 ( 7.5% ABV ) but actually finished at 1.016 ( 7.2% ABV )

Cheers mate. I probably shouldn't of added the edtra sugar then. Just tried a small bottle, In know it's nowhere near long enough but it tastes pretty good already! I'll try again in a week.
    Well this lager seems to be getting better. I keep sampling it every other day and it does get better. Carbonation is quite there but that seems to be improving with time.
    The bottles are stored in an unheated room and I keep bring a few into the kitchen for a few days. This seems to be bringing things on a bit faster.
    That's great, once bottled ideally try to keep the brew at room temperature for at least a few days, ideally a week, this just helps the priming sugar/drops dissolve and secondary ferment and creates the carbonation. The flavour will keep improving with time, although it is sometimes hard to wait for them to be at their best!
    Thanks. I followed the instructions which said leave for 4 days but I don't think it was long enough really. I used carb drops in most and normal granulated sugar in a few bottles and seem to get better results with the sugar.
    It is likely the sugar dissolved a little faster so some extra warmth will help, the drops are just sugar in a solid form so once dissolved they will carbonate nicely, once clear and carbonated it is often ready to drink, but ideally give it at least a few more weeks for the flavours to develop
    Just ordered my next brew from you. Decided to try the Youngs Harvest pilsner. Looking forward to getting it on the go!
    Thanks for the order, see how you get on with the pilsner, and let us know how it turns out...