Options

Spring water or tap water?

Good morning everyone!

I'm an absolute novice in home brewing and so I'm making sure I've done all my research before I dive in at the deep end and start my first brew! I've been watching plenty of "how to" videos on YouTube (how did we manage 20 years ago eh?) and one thing I've noticed is that some people use normal tap water, whereas others swear by bottled spring water. Aside from the obvious expense in buying bottled water, is there actually any difference?

What do you guys use in your brews?
Dinosaurs didn't have beer... look how that worked out for them!

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We find this is really down to personal preference, most people use tap water, and this can be left to stand overnight to help any chemicals in the water to evaporate if it has a strong flavour. You have to be careful as some water bought in supermarkets is just tap water, it may be worth trying the same brew with tap water, and again with spring water, and see if you can tell much difference. We always just use tap water, and find brews turn out great, ours is supplied by Yorkshire water
  • Options
    ValdevirValdevir Member Posts: 4
    Ah cool, tap water it is then. I felt like it might start becoming a dear do if I had to buy twenty odd litres of spring water every time. I shall also be making my brews wi' Yorkshire watter.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)
    Dinosaurs didn't have beer... look how that worked out for them!