Options

Fermentation vessel

DarrenDarren Member Posts: 1
edited January 2012 in Beer Brewing
Hi, I am new to Home Brewing and need some guidance please. I am using the Woodfordes Wherry Kit and homebrew Kit supplied. I sealed the fermentation bucket with the lid supplied but after two days released the pressure from the fermentation bucket in fear of it bursting. I am now at Day 6 and the SG is sitting around 1016. What do I do next as not to spoil any further

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    When in the fermentation vessel for the primary fermentation, the airlock will let any excess pressure out as needed, and just pushes into the hole in the lid with the rubber seal - when part filled with water it will just let any pressure bubble it's way through - some prefer just to loosely cover the bucket in the first stage and let the CO2 escape. The Wherry is recommended to be below 1014 before transferring to the barrel, so make sure it is being kept at a reasonably warm temperature, around 20 degrees C to help it ferment, and give it a little time to drop - once it has dropped low enough, check it for a couple of days and make sure it remains stable and the reading unchanged, it will now have finished it's primary fermentation. Don't worry if it takes a bit longer than the instructions say, it does vary dependant on the conditions, especially temperature - yours sounds like it is nearly there though. Once the reading is constant, it can be syphoned over into your barrel, primed with sugar, and store as directed. The best results are achieved by being patient and leaving for as long as possible, to allow the flavours to mature and improve, whilst it can be tried earlier, we recommend leaving for a good few weeks for the best taste!