Options

Crafty Fox primary fermentation

dc.gracedc.grace Member Posts: 13
I started a crafty fox Nevada Pale Ale 11 days ago. I am still getting a bubble in the airlock about every 6 minutes. Should I just leave it until there is no bubble at all?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Fermentation times can vary often due to temperature etc, whilst it is bubbling still just leave it, you need the fermentation to be fully complete before moving on to the next stage. If in doubt just take a hydrometer reading and the reading needs to be low and constant to be sure it has stopped
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
    I would never trust an airlock alone. If you haven't got a perfectly airtight container, air might be leaking and not going through the lock, giving the impression that fermentation had stopped when it may not have. Always best to do check with a hydrometer, 2 readings 24 hours apart, low and constant as HBO says.
    Colin
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Just eyeball it ;)
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    If after a few days fermentation there were no bubbles in the airlock then I would say only a gravity reading decides. But I am now up to 14 days and still there is a bubble every 12 minutes. Doesn't the bubble tell me that fermentation is still active as suggested by HBO staff?
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Yes it does, the bubbles in the airlock are made by the CO2 being created in the vessel which is then passing through the airlock, once this stops you can then check for constant hydro readings. If the brew is on the cool side then this can make the fermentation take longer, warming it up can help, most brews are generally speaking happy around 20 degrees C, although a slow and steady fermentation is no bad thing
  • Options
    Thanks for reassuring, HBO. Its been around 21% for most of the time, but the first couple of days were actually too high.