Options

No idea how to get going!!

spenaricospenarico Member Posts: 2
edited December 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
Hi there, my wife bought me the Home Brew Complete Starter Kit for Christmas, containing the Real Ale tub to start with. Now I really want to get started with this as soon as I can, but I don't have a clue what I am doing, I have cleaned the kit, but after that I don't know what I am doing, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited December 2011
    Hi spenarico, don't be overwhelmed by it all, it really is a simple process and should be enjoyed, so take your time with your first batch. The sterilising and cleaning of the equipment is important and time very well spent, but not the most fun so it's good you've got that out of the way, just make sure everything is well rinsed clean after sterilising. All you have to do now is add the various ingredients and water, and leave it in a warm place for a while to ferment - take a look at this link which has a video guide, it's quite straight forward and step by step; http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/pages/beer-making-guide and is also listed under the topics on the left hand side of the screen on this forum under 'Beginners Video Guides'. Take a look and see what you think
  • Options
    lofty256lofty256 Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    Hello spenarico!...
    I too am quite new too the homebrew game but this forum has answered all my questions (on a weekday) lol,
    I also got a complete homebrew kit for xmas off my mother but i got it 3 weeks before so my 1st brew would be ready (admirals reserve).
    Clean and sterilise everything that will come in cotact with the beer with VWP just before you start the brew!
    Put the can/'s in boiling water for 5/10 min so it gets thinner in viscosity!
    Pour into fermenter but pour boiling water into the tins and stur to get all the wort out and also put into the fermenter.
    Put in the required amount of boiling water and cold water and make sure the temp is between 26-30 degrees before pitching ( adding ) your yeast.
    Some people stur the yeast and some people dont! .... I do.... I try to get as much air into the wort as possible during mixing to help the yeast.
    GOOD TIP: check SG: starting gravity with a hydromiter and write it down as you can calculate the ABV alcohol at the end!
    Once everything is mixed and the yeast pitched at the right temp seal your fermenter and half fill your airlock with water.
    Put in a warm place for 4-7 days @ 20-30 degrees or untill the airlock has stopped bubbeling or sg has stayed the same for 2 days (specific gravity ). i put mine in a boiler cupboard @ about 28 degrees and it ferments quite quickley.
    When fermentation has finished you need to ether bottle ( rack ) or put your brew into a pressure barrel.
    I have done both and using a pressure barrel is alot easyer than all the bottles.
    Leave barrel/ bottles in a warm place for a further 2 days then moove to a cool place to help the brew clear! not somewhere it is freezing tho like a shead in the winter! it will cloud!
    Leave for two weeks min then wahlah!.. you have a drinkable homemade brew to be proud of!
    P.S... It gets better with age... leave for 4 weeks or more in barrel for full flavour, i was too impatient and drank it all within 2 weeks! i was farting for days on end!!! be warned... haha
    I have a double batch of headcracker i just put in the pressure barrel to look forward to!! at least a month me thinks lol.
    I also have 40 pints of pear cider in bottles ready to drink minus the sediment.
    I'm hooked and im only 28... but cheep good quality ale is the way forward! Yeast + sugar = Good times :0)
  • Options
    markomarko Administrator Posts: 76
    Good guide there lofty. I'll sticky this, I think there will be a few new home brewers coming to the forum that will find this very useful. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    spenaricospenarico Member Posts: 2
    Hey there Lofty,

Real big thanks for all that helpful advice, has helped me out loads and now cant wait to try the brew.

Cheers again and I will heed your advice to not get too impatient, I don't think the missus would see the funny side of all the farting, but maybe it would be funny for me.

Big Thanks again.

• Options
    batfink5537batfink5537 Member Posts: 14
    The only thing i might add to that is i leave mine to secondry ferment for 5 days to a week. & when you bottle or keg your beer prime the bottles/barel (add a little suger) to give your beer some fizz.
  • Options
    FXRSFXRS Member Posts: 27
    Thanks Lofty, that is a really good guide for people like me, a brewing virgin oohh err!

I notice the temps you give, 20-30 degree, exceed those which are contained in the instructions of my Youngs lager kit. The suggested temp is 18-21 C in my kit. I also notice that the 25L Fermenting Vessel Heater Tray (non-adjustable) heaters as offered on this website are preset at 22-27 C. Is it fair to assume that the 22-27C range is acceptable for my brew kit? Will this increase in temp compared to the instructions mean anything else must change e.g. fermenting time?

Its all very consfusing.
  • Options
    batfink5537batfink5537 Member Posts: 14
    I put mine in the airing cupboard & its around 28 in there & iv never had any problems. It just ferments very quickley (the last Youngs kit i did had finished primary in 4 days).
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The manufacturers suggest their ideal temperature range, and base their timescales on optimum conditions, if it's a bit cooler then the fermentation takes a bit longer, but too cold and it will stop, and in some cases when it is warmer it can speed things up a bit. The heater trays are suitable for most brews and there are never any problems with them over-heating brews (except when people cover the fermenters to insulate them and they can then get over warm). Checking with a hydrometer from time to time gives peace of mind it is fermenting and gives a good indication of it's progress
  • Options
    podderpodder Member Posts: 1
    i think different brews may need different temperatures like lager is better at the lower end i.e about 20c and bitter about 26c but exact temp. is not critical.higher temp. brews quicker and may bubble over through airlock-mine did