Options

Headcracker double batch? 48 pints???

lofty256lofty256 Member Posts: 13
edited January 2012 in Frequently Asked Questions
Would it be ok to double up on the headcracker as it only makes 24 pints and i dont want to half fill fermenter and pressure barrel?
I have a 5 gallon screw top fermenter with more space above the 5 gallon mark so i was wondering if i could buy x2 kits and do a double batch ( 48 ) pints?
And would my pressure barrel hold 48?
Oh by the way i have demolished the Admirals reserve ( maybe a tad too early ) Farting loads!!! but it was fantastic haha :0)
Will let you know what the pair cider comes out like in a week or two!
Cheers for your wealth of knowlage!

:o)

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi lofty256, we can't see why you couldn't just double everything and make two at once, as long as you use a fermenter with some spare room in it at the top as you said. It's probably not wise to put more than 40 pints into the pressure barrel though, as a bit of room at the top is needed for carbonation and expansion, but you could either make 48 pints and bottle the extra 8, or reduce the amount of water used by 8 pints so you have 40 pints, but be warned it will make it even stronger in alcohol strength and also stronger in taste!
  • Options
    lofty256lofty256 Member Posts: 13
    Hmmm I might just ferment 48 and bottle 8 like you said. I want this to be a good batch as it is an expensive one lol. Only thing is that all my grolsch bottles are taken up with my pair cider. :0( oh ho ho well lol