Options

Have I destroyed my Wine?

DesmondDesmond Member Posts: 38
Hi. I have a 5G wine kit. Calafornia Connoisseur

The directions are Crap. In the first stage is the line
Take the specific gravity before adding the yeast. For assistance reading the hydrometer see "Hints for success". Item #3

The Sachets are numbered #2,#3,#4

This caused confusion and I added #3 (Potasium Metabisulphate)

They talk about a package #5 which doesn't exist.

Have I destroyed the wine by adding Potasium Metabisulphate strait away. Can adding yeast still save the day.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Desmond, we have taken a look at the instructions that the manufacturers include and can see what you mean, they have numbered their 'hints and tips' as well as the sachets, so they sometimes refer to the tips, and other times to the sachets.

It is likely that if you add the yeast and take a hydrometer reading, the wine should get going. As a double check take a second hydrometer reading a day or two later to make sure that the hydrometer reading is changing and the reading getting lower. This will just give you peace of mind that it is actually fermenting as usual. If after a couple of days at around 20 degrees C or so, the reading does not change then that would indicate a problem. Add the yeast and brew as normal, and please let us know how you get on