Options

Simply Ginger Beer - Final Gravity?

Only my second brew and this time it's Simply Ginger Beer with 1.Kg Coopers Brew Enhancer.
Kept at 22 degrees. Took about 10 hrs to get going and then went mad for a couple of days. Produced some foam/crust but not to the extent that it came to the top of the FV or into the airlock.
Now entering day 4 and fermentation seems to have ceased very quickly. From bubbling madly to nothing. Latest SG is 1.018 which seems a bit high(?) ABV calculation suggests 3.3%
Have given it a gentle stir but with no obvious signs of fermentation at the moment.
Question: Assuming the next reading shows no change should I consider it ready to bottle or think about adding more yeast - I only have a Coopers stout yeast available at the moment?

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    4 days isn't that long, personally I'd leave it a good few more days, then start checking the reading.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    timwilliams19timwilliams19 Member Posts: 10
    You're right BUDFORCE. Although no obvious signs of activity the SG has reduced to 1.014 so, as you suggest I'm having it a little longer to see where it ends up. Any ideas on a FG or ABV?
  • Options
    No I never bother taking readings, I just leave them a fair bit longer then the instructions state, temperature controlled, that way I know all of the sugar will have fermented.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Or to use an American expression, I just eyeball it. :)