Options

Cider questions this time lol

lofty256lofty256 Member Posts: 13
edited December 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
Hi people again lol. I am now onto my 2nd batch but I'm doing a cider this time. I was just wondering if I still get the throffy head while fermenting as I did with the real ale? And is it uncommon not to see activity from airlock? Even on the last brew I saw nothing and the lid has a good seal?..... Anyways enough for now but I'm sure I'll be asking more questions before I come to racking haha. Many thanx in advance!!! :0)

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi lofty256, it's good to try some different things so let us know how your cider turns out, it's a very similar process to the ale, so you shouldn't have too many problems. Cider as a general rule doesn't tend to have as vigorous a fermentation as, say some lagers, you are more likely to see it gently bubbling away through the liquid, and as long as the lid is on tightly and the airlock has a good seal where it enters the lid through the grommet or bung, it may bubble through the airlock. Remember the vessel doesn't have to be fully airtight during the initial fermentation, it just shouldn't allow anything to get into the vessel to contaminate the brew