Options

Fermentation time

batfink5537batfink5537 Member Posts: 14
edited December 2011 in Frequently Asked Questions
if you were to half the amount of brew ie brew a 20 L kit in 2 10 L batches would the fermentation time half ?

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi batfink5537, the fermentation time would stay pretty much the same regardless of batch size, this is because the ratio of sugar to liquid is the same, you would have half the amount of each. Check with your hydrometer to be sure, but we don't think it would make much, if any difference. Quicker fermentation times will be achieved by keeping the brew at the perfect temperature if you want it as quickly as possible
  • Options
    batfink5537batfink5537 Member Posts: 14
    Ok thanx. Its not that i want it to ferment quicker its just that i only have 1 25L FV & 2 x 15L FVs i wanted to do 2 20L batches at the same time so i did one normly in the 25L FV & split the other betwen the 2 15L FVs & it maid me think about fermentation times.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    ah, that makes sense, it will more than likely be around the same time for both sized batches, just check it with a hydrometer if poss to be sure
  • Options
    fergusfantasticfergusfantastic Member Posts: 10
    My very first brew with my new Coopers DIY complete kit is up and running ( 30th Aug.)..seems ok'OG was 1038..... I removed Krausen collar after 3 days as per Coopers video. Checked SG this morning (4th Sept) 1018, nice colour nice smell but a bit cloudy...... What I'd like to know is, when will the brew clear i.e. will it clear before bottling, or will it clear in the bottle during secondary fermentation?