Options

Gone with the wheat bottling

HI

Just out of curiosity I've done 2 batches and both when bottling there's sediment at the bottom of the bottles..

Is this supposed to happen?

the first fermentation was complete when bottled..

Can someone please let me know because I am worried I have wasted time and money ..

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi Marcus, the simple answer is that yes this is perfectly normal. When you bottle your beer it will still be cloudy, and won't clear until after it has been in the bottles for a few weeks. This cloudiness is suspended yeast, and is what is needed to carbonate your brew. GWTW can take a while to clear and carbonate, and for the full flavour to develop, so we suggest to bottle it and store away from UV light for a few months if possible. Here is a guide to reducing sediment and clearing beers:

http://homebrewonline.vanillaforums.com/discussion/457/cloudy-brew-sediment-a-guide-to-reducing-sediment-clearing#latest
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Are you conditioning the bottles in secodary fermentation.

Or in other words, when you are putting your brew in to the bottles, are you then adding priming sugar?

If so the yeast will eat the priming sure and cause a little sediment to be at the bottom of the bottle.

Even if you are not priming its possible a small amount of sediment may get out of your primary fermentation vessle in to the bottle.

I really wouldnt worry about it, it wont harm you, but if you do prefer to not have it in your beer just tip the bottle and the glass towards each other and pout slowly keeping an eye on the settlement and once it reaches the next stop.

With a bit of practise you can get pretty much all of the beer out before the sediment.

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    MarcusMarcus Member Posts: 4
    Thank you guys so much, I was thinking I might had balls things up lol..

I'm on my 3rd batch but haven't got to drink any yet but cant wait.

I am really grateful for all your advise and help.