Options

fermenting problem i think

hy ive been brewing the coopers lager kit at 20-24 degrees c , for 4 days lovely foaming at top that disapeared on 5th day tested the brew with hydrometer on 6th day and still showing 1026 so i have give a good 30 sec steady stir and upped the temp to 24-26 degrees for 2 days and done another hydrometer check and its still the same any ideas is it ruined or good to bottle as i read it should be 1010 or lower , the brew looks steady

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Firstly you don't need it quite that warm. 26c is about the upper end of the temperature range. Reading your post it seems you have the ability to quite accurately control the temperature, which is ideal. In my experience I find 22-24c is about perfect for primary fermentation.

I have brewed one of those Coopers ktis before and they are of the type that do go pretty quickly so it's likely its done. Now that you have stirred it all up you may wish to give it another day or two for everything to settle back down, give it another reading and see what the gravity reading is, if its the same or very similar likely its done.

Remember those hydrometers you get with home brewings kits are not exactly state of the art scientific measuring devices and in my experience I find them not to be that accurate, if you add in to it that there are many variables that can affect the reading.

The point I am trying to make is that I would not necessarily worry too much if your reading does not match what teh instructions say, more that the reading just stays stable for a day or two, which is a sign that the beer has finished primary fermentation.

Hope that helps.

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    dye29dye29 Member Posts: 15
    thanks for advise , i use a brewing belt which works well moving up and down the bin , ye i have already left few days and checked but the same so its prob done i shall bottle her then also i read some where if its fizzy how do i degas it (just incase it is when bottling )
  • Options
    It shouldn't be fizzy after primary fermentation unless you are brewing in an air tight vessel? Most kits don't need to be airtight in primary in fact I'd suggest they are not airtight. I put the lid on but only loosely to let air in despite what the instruction say on every one to date.

Carbonation comes from secondary fermentation.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    great thanks i checked again today and its reading 1014 so ive bottled it now sit back and wait for it to mature , that should be ok wont it
  • Options
    I'm sure it'll be fine.

Give it as long as you can but should be good in about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    just checked my beer in bottles and it feels nice and firm and already clear after only been 5 days do i try one or leave it longer
  • Options
    hehehe....

If you can give it another 2 weeks at least, painful wait I know.

But....I guess if you could try just 1 :)
  • Options
    im goin to push myself and try one on 2week mark lol
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
    But don't panic if it tastes a bit flat. That's your own fault for being impatient.
    Colin