Options

black rock cider

eightpintseightpints Member Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in Cider Making
Hi all i am new to this and 10 days ago i fermented some cider on the tin it says temp should be between 23 and 27 degrees if i wrap fermenting bucket in an old duvet to keep it warm will this be ok? still no signs of it fermenting yet though

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hi eightpints, no sign of it fermenting yet would suggest that it is not warm enough for it, it would be worth checking with a thermometer that it is up to around 23 degrees, an LCD one stuck to the side of your fermenting vessel usually gives a good indication of what temp your brew is at. Wrapping the fermenter in a duvet would help it stay at it's temperature, it just depends what that temperature is, it wont make it any warmer. If it is not warm enough, move it closer to a heat source or a warmer place to help it warm through. If like many people, you brew in a cooler room or place, it may be worth considering a heating device to help keep it's temperature up, such as a BrewBelt or a heater tray. Sure signs of fermentation would be a froth developing on the brew, or bubbles rising from it, and if you are using an airtight vessel and airlock it will start to bubble away as the gases escape.