Options

Hop Seeds

Anyone know where you can get these. Been looking online, generic hop seeds are pretty common but I am trying to find specific varieties. Looking at some sites it seems certain strains (Citra for example) are quite closely guarded and you will not get the seeds anywhere.

I've got a polytunnel I've grown chillis and other such stuff over the past few years but this year I plan on growing hops and just letting them go wild in there, should hopefully get a good few hops which I will then freeze or dry and make hop pellets for my own use.

I do want to try and get hold of some decent ones though and I like the American hops Summit, Simcoe, Cascade etc - although I have a suspicion like the Citra hops a lot of these are not going to be easily available in seed from. Really though, any aromatic hops will do.

I've managed to find some El Dorado hop seeds on Ebay from the US, which is gonna cost about £8 for 100 seeds from the US including delivery, I may give those a go for the time being and see if I can get then to germinate. It seems (looking at the below linked guide) these may be somewhat similar to Citra hops, or at least more in that range of aromatic hops.

I've also found a pretty good simple guide to Hop varieties here: http://www.usahops.org/graphics/File/HGA BCI Reports/Variety Manual 7-24-12.pdf

I'd love to get hold of some Citra hop seeds but at the price even 100g of the finished stuff is going for currently I think it would be hard, seems at the moment, this stuff is almost more profitable then growing (well you know) and completely legal.

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments