Options

Other devices for measuring alcohol percentage?

I personally don't even bother using my hydrometer for a few reasons.

1. I can't see it being all that accurate, the measurements are so specific and there are so many variables to be accurate and it's just no way that it is, and you might as well just look on the side of the beer kit you are brewing and say to yourself, it'll probably be around that, because thats about as accurate as you are going to get using the hyrdrometer anyway.

2. I can pretty tell tell when its finished fermenting.

That being said, is there any other devices or peices of kit that can measure alchohol percentage from a finished beer?
Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Nothing that we are aware of that is a reasonable price, equipment to test alcohol strength is very expensive, hydrometers are just a handy way to check and also to be sure if a brew has finished fermenting if you're not sure, - if there has been little to no signs of fermentation etc.

There is a service where you can send a brew away to be tested though we believe, but for most homebrewers as you say the strength is usually what the manufacturers state, as long as you sue the right amount of liquid and/or sugars