Options

Priming beer for the second time?

AfroAfro Member Posts: 4
Just brewed one of your recipe pack beer kits. All went well until I put in the barrel and primed it. I noticed a few days later the tap was leaking as the pressure built up. I tried to tighten it up, but ended up putting into a new barrel which I sanitised. I also re-gassed the barrel. I wondered whether I would need to prime the brew again to carbonate it?
Also, I noticed that I had left the sediment behind in the original barrel. Will this have a detrimental effect?
Many thanks
Andy

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    You could yes, but you say a few days?

I'm guessing some of that sugar that you used to prime the first time will still remain in the liquid as sugar, so yes, re prime it definately should work but I would go easy on how much sugar you add, maybe just half of even 1/3 or the normal amount.

Actually, you should be able to tell. You say that you have sealed it in another keg?

When you go to open it, if there is any pressure in there than clearly some of the original sugar remained so that will give you some clue as to how much you need to add. More pressure already in there, the less sugar I would add. This isn't going to be an exact science by a long shot, so many variables, but may give you a rought idea. Good luck anyway, I am sure it will be fine.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Sorry I have re read your post again this morning, you have added gas so it will be pressurised anyway....

Sorry I was really hungover yesterday!

There will probably be enough sugar left in it to corbonate it so I would probably jsut leave it.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    AfroAfro Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input. Will leave alone and see what happens.