Options

Steeping Liquorice Root

Hi Everybody.
I am about to brew a Coopers Stout,brewed it before and was very nice.This time around I would like to give it a stronger liquorice note to the flavour.I bought the liquorice root from an Asian supermarket,the same kind that we used to chew on as kids(a very long time ago!).
How long should they steep for and at what temperature?.
Many Thanks
New2Brew.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    This can be a case of experimenting to get the right amount of flavour added to your brew, if wanting to add to an extract ingredients kit such as Coopers then you can get the flavour to impart as it ferments. Using root to get it to release more flavour it can be bashed or shredded, then steeped in some hot water to infuse the flavour. Once it has been left to infuse the water from the steeping, (and perhaps the root itself if you want more flavour) can be added to your malt extract as you top it up with cold water, then the yeast added. If you decide to add the root too then just remember you will need to remove it from the liquid as you bottle or barrel the brew, one option is to put it in some muslin to contain it and it can then be easily removed.
  • Options
    New2BrewNew2Brew Member Posts: 18
    Hi HBO, tried steeping the liquorice root.I was unable to peel the outer layer as it resembled tree bark and was too hard to remove.Bashed the root and began the steeping process.Unfortunately there was more tannin released than liquorice flavour,brownish coloured water with a very earthy smell and taste.
    As this was an experiment,i decided it would be best not to add this to the brew.Next time around I might
    try steeping some star aniseed,maybe have more luck with that,no root,no tannins?.
    I will also look on the internet to see whether you can buy liquorice extract.
    Many Thanks.
    Pete.