Options

Question on brewing Young's Saison

BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
http://www.home-brew-online.com/beer-kits-c1/american-craft-brewing-beer-kits-new-world-belgian-saison-4kg-kit-p1724

This one.

I have read somewhere that Saisons need higher than normal brewing temperatures which has so far put me off trying this kit. I temperature control my brews at 22c but to increase the temperature specifically for this kit, if acheivable, would probably end up being more hassle then its worth.

Will these kits work ok at my regular brewing temp?

Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA

Comments

• Options
    IF you have a look at the instructions it does say specifically:

" Ambient temperature range 20-32 °C for Saison and the warmer the better. Greater than 24 °C will not impair quality of Saison (it will actually improve yeast character)"

Source:

https://www.youngsgroup.co.uk/images/instructions/New American Beer Kit Instructions1.pdf

So I guess my questions is, despite what the instructions say, has anyone tried this at a lower brewing temp and had success?
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    We haven't brewed it at the cooler temp so we just checked with Youngs on this for you, they say:

'If you were to brew at lower temperatures, then we can only imagine the issues you might expect are a stuck fermentation, perhaps a weaker flavour and slower ferment. All that said, 22 degrees shouldn't make a great deal of difference as long as it is constant.'

If brewing without a heater and cant get above 22 degrees then it should be fine, perhaps save it and brew in summer when it is warmer to help it naturally maybe too. 22 is still within the scale they suggest but it sounds as though the yeast just prefers the higher temp for the best flavours to develop
  • Options
    Thanks i appreciate you looking in to that. I might as you say give it a go in the summer. I use one of those immersion type heaters so it does remain pretty constant.

I will wait for the warmer months, try it, and report back.
  • Options
    It would be great to hear what you think to it, as you say the American range is very good and gets some great feedback, unfortunately none of the reviews mention temperature though
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
    Justification for a fermenting fridge if ever it was needed. Can you not get a couple of extra degrees with the immersion heater?
    Colin
  • Options
    Probably but it's effort.

The thing with those heaters in the temperature control is quite fiddly, there is a fair bit of trail and error to get the set at the right temperature, so once you have it set right, I am inclined not to mess with it.

I think I will just give it a go with what I've got. In the summer months my temperature will range a bit more, 22c-25c as I brew in my garage ambient temperature does affect it a bit.

I am guessing here, but it's possible Young's are being on the fussy side with their instructions. You know what it's like, tell people minimum 18c and they will try it at 15c then complain it doesn't work.

We'll see though.
  • Options
    Well it's just gone in, gonna leave this one three weeks then take a look at it.

I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    WierdFishWierdFish Member Posts: 25
  • Options
    Brew went well, posted a separate review
  • Options
    Fantastic, will have a read