Options

Ideal Boxes

Hello,

Started brewing recently, going to be bottling into 500ml PET bottles, what I wanted to ask is has anyone found an ideal sized box for storing the bottles once filled?

I don't have a huge amount of cupboard space so for protecting from the light boxes are going to be the best option.  Ideally I would like to find boxes that when filled with upright bottles are full without free space to the sides or above.  Something plastic may be good in case something leaks but I think cardboard might be better to block the light.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DarranDarran Member Posts: 37
    Also a slightly related question, when purchasing PET bottles are any colours better than others for protecting from light?

I currently have brown Coopers bottles, I also have a batch of clear bottles but TBH I am only planning on using a few of those per batch more so I can see what is happening.
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Unfortunately we don't know of any that are suitable once the bottles are filled, if you have somewhere to stand them then you could just cover them over to stop any strong light getting to them, by using coloured bottles this also helps to reduce light getting in to them
  • Options
    HowardHoward Member Posts: 62

I have taken to using "Box it" storage boxes I find they work well and I strong hard to get a perfect fit on a box I use a little cardboard to divide the beers in the box..... I use glass bottles and Plastic Bottles I have not used the coopers plastic bottles and have heard they can breakdown after a few uses....

I ordered mine here they come in green or brown and use crown caps so you would need a capper with them.... Brown is the prefered colour for bottles I have Green Plastic and Brown Plastic I find the green are fine as long as they are kept out of the sun.....

My Ciders I do put into the green bottles as a rule..... and like you my clear bottles I like to use for my testers hope that is some help....

• Options
    DarranDarran Member Posts: 37
    Out of interest how about the glass bottles that you sell, do they come in cardboard boxes that could also be used to store once bottled?

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The glass beer and wine bottles come in sturdy cardboard boxes with dividers which can also be used to store them in, just be aware that whilst they are strong, once the bottles are full and quite heavy extra care would be needed to make sure the bottoms didn't drop out
  • Options
    robbiewidrobbiewid Member Posts: 8
    I buy coores bottles , you get to drink the beer then re use the bottles. makes sense to me.