Options

Time in Fermenting Bucket?

discobanditdiscobandit Member Posts: 6
Hi,
    we have decided to go away for a couple of days and I'd like to know if leaving a brew in the Fermenting Bucket (1st Stage) for longer than advised will have any adverse effect on it?
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Once a brew has finished fermenting it should ideally be transferred on to the next stage, this means you leave the dead yeast and sediment behind, which could potentially impart a flavour if left for a while on the sediment. In practice it is best to leave your brew an extra day or so to be sure it has finished fermenting especially if bottling, and often people leave it in the vessel until the next weekend when they often have more time to bottle or transfer into a barrel. Brews have been left too long and even forgotten about and there are not usually any problems, a couple of days should do no harm
  • Options
    discobanditdiscobandit Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for that. Put my mind at ease.
    I do have another question that may seem a bit dumb, but when bottling do I fill them to the same level as you would find in a commercial beer or a little less?
    Cheers
  • Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    When filling your bottles it is best to leave a little gap, usually fill to just above the shoulder of the bottle or where the neck tapers in which will allow any CO2 created to fill, this is often around an inch or so from the top of the bottle. If using a little bottler which we really recommend, then fill right to the top, then when you remove the tube from the bottle the volume displaced by the tube means the beer level drops and leaves a nice gap at the top of the bottle;