Options

1st Fermentation using a Bin that has a tap

JonseyJonsey Member Posts: 2

Hiya, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about using a fermentation bin with a tap in order to do the first fermentation of beer.  I appreciate that the tap can be sterilised prior to brewing the beer, but once I come to bottle the beer what is the best way in sterilising the parts of the tap that are on the exterior of the bin.  The reason I ask is that I'm considering buying a bin with a tap in order to speed up the bottling process but can't work out how best to sterilise the tap before bottling.  Many thanks for any help that can be provided on this.

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115

The very best thing for this, and we highly recommend it, is a fermenting bin with a 'little bottler' attatched, it is specifically for doing what you want, and makes filling bottles so easy you wont believe it if you haven't used one before. You brew as normal in your fermenting vessel, leave to finish fermenting, then simply fill the bottles by opening the tap and using the bottling stick attached to it. The vessel and tap are cleaned in the usual way prior to brewing, wash with a steriliser solution and run some of it through the tap and little bottler, then rinse with some clean water and run some clean water through the tap too to remove any residue. Take a look and see what you think;

http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/collections/all/products/beer-wine-fermenting-vessel-25-ltr-little-bottler

• Options
    MikeHMikeH Member Posts: 67
    I can vouch for the Little Bottler, it's so simple yet saves so much time, hassle and mess.  One thing to watch for, if flow rate through it is slow it could be like mine was - the valve assembly at the end had been pushed on too far in the factory and I had to simply pull it down the tube a little (don't worry if it comes completely off, it'll go back on again).
    As HBO staff said, sterilise the bucket and tap in the normal way prior to brewing.  What I do prior to bottling is sterilise the Little Bottler and then rub the outside of the tap with a handful of sterilising solution and then again with clean water to rinse.  You could also use a cloth.  Make sure you rinse it well though.  To be doubly sure you could always get a glass and extract a small amount of beer through it and throw it away to ensure all the sterilising solution has gone.
    Also note that the tap for use with the Little Bottler will rotate independent of the part that bolts onto the bucket so you can swing it sideways during fermentation so you're not damaging the bucket if on the floor or having to have the tap hang over the edge of a heat mat if using one.
    Cheers, Mike...

• Options
    JonseyJonsey Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Guys for the very prompt and helpful advice.  The bin with tap and little Bottler has been purchased from Home Brew Online, at a very good price I've got to say, and I'm looking forward to using it.
  • Options
    MreddsterMreddster Member Posts: 60
    If the tap is removable, like the one in the fermenting bin I bought from Home Brew Online, just remove it and leave it to soak in a little solution, then rinse off with hot water. Nice and simple.

I too recommend the little bottler, so easy to use :)  
  • Options
    nigel6nigel6 Member Posts: 3
    For better results I would recommend a second fV. I tend to do the primary fermentation in a FV and then rack it off into  the second FV with tap and little bottler. This allows you to take the brew off the yeast sediment and then allows you to leave it to stand for say another 7 days before bottling. The result is a brew that will clear quicker and you will probably have less sediment in each bottle. Some even rack a second time but I think thats a bit OTT.