Camden tablets in Beaverdale & youngs kits?

MasterofArtsMasterofArts Member Posts: 21
Hello,

Ive heard and read mixed views on Camden tablets and if they should be used.

I thought I would ask here if its required particular with beaverdale and youngs kits.

I am favouring to the use of them but I am wondering if they will have an impact on flavour?

Im therefore thinking of using 1/2 a tablet per 4.5l, whats your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Campden tablets are usually used to preserve and prevent contamination, and more commonly used when making fruit wines and ciders etc. If making wine from refill kit ingredients such as Beaverdale and Youngs etc, then they are not usually used - as the wine refill ingredients include the step by step instructions and all the sachets of chemicals needed etc
  • CelticTwilightCelticTwilight Member Posts: 29
    First off before I go confusing matters; am I correct that Campden Tablets are basically the same as Potassium Metabisulphite? Reading the ingredients on the jar this appears to be from two separate but similarly worded chemicals plus what sounds like a coating. Namely: Sodium Metabisulphite (93%); Potassium Benzoate (5%); Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone (2%).

I have made quite a few Youngs and Beaverdale kits and not noticed the mention of Campden tablets. I am currently at the latter stages of my latest Vine Co 30 bottle kit (Chilean Merlot) and this does mention in relation to preserving for more than 3 months: adding 1/4 tsp to a carboy which is only a very small amount and less than a single tablet I reckon. I have dug out my instruction leaflets for my other Vine Co kits and they all mention this part but I haven't added any tablets or that sort of powder and they have tasted good 6-9 months down the line. Here is the confusing part on the jar it states: 'add one crushed tablet per gallon of wine'.

I am aiming to stick to the Vine Co advice for this stage because this time I am planning to mature some bottles for a lot longer. I just need to know the right amount of the right stuff to add. Vine Co are based in Canada and it might just be their form of expression.
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Some people use campden tablets with hot water to clean their equipment, but then as a general guide most home brew wine kit ingredients then include all the sachets and any chemicals needed for the actual making of the wine.

We're not aware of any Beaverdale or Youngs kits that ask for Campden tablets or Sodium Metabisulphite powder to be added, although if in some of the premium kits they suggest to add some for longer term storage there is no reason not to add as they advise.

It can be used at the end of fermentation to prevent oxidation and bacterial contamination during the bottling and syphoning of the wine, and it can also aid stability