Overcarbonation pt 2 - caster sugar to blame?

It occurred to me that my overcarbonation problems might be due to me using caster sugar rather than granulated and I guess the caster sugar is denser because it is finer ground.

Anybody else ever done this and got over fizzy beer?

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    You can prime with different types of sugar, ordinary granulated, carbonation drops, brewing sugar, caster, etc, it wont usually make too much difference, with brewing sugar and caster being very fine it will dissolve more quickly and easily, but wont make too much difference to the carbonation. Carbonation drops are very dense too.

One thing just to bear in mind is the bottle size, and vary the priming amount accordingly.
  • Tom_BTom_B Member Posts: 27
    we got the scales out the other evening and measured a teaspoon of caster sugar and found it was 4g and the granulated was 5g. The beer is still over carbonated but I have found that chilling it right down in the fridge for half an hour and it behaves itself and pours nicely and doesn't pick up sediment with the bubbles.
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    That's great, chilling it down can calm the fizz, its' good news you manage to leave the sediment behind too, maybe with the next batch try some bottles with just half a teaspoon and compare