Mangrove Jacks Juicy IPA [Cloudy]

TrevTheBevTrevTheBev Member Posts: 13
Hi,
After watching your videos on youtube for Mangrove Jacks Juicy IPA, I just had to get a kit for the summer.

I made it in March with the Liquid Malt Extract after a successful 1st lager kit.
I fermented it for 11 days down to SG of 1.010 after adding the dry hops for about 4 days. I then bottled it straight from the Fermenting Vessel using the little bottler and kept the bottles in my boiler cupboard for a further 14 days at between 20-22 degrees constant.
I have since had the bottles out in my garage for over 12 days now [Time since starting is just over 4 weeks] yet they are all so cloudy and don't look as if they are clearing at all, despite there being some sediment at the bottom of the bottle.
Can you please advise if they will eventually clear and is there anything further I can do to speed this process up. If they won't clear, what can I do ?

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It sounds as though everything was OK when brewed, and with the hydro reading at 1.010 it will have finished the primary fermentation, so this is not why they are still cloudy. Keeping the bottles warm after priming with sugar helps it dissolve and carbonate, so now they are somewhere cooler they will clear. It is a good sign that there is some sediment settling in the base of the bottles, this shows it is dropping out of the liquid and beginning to clear. It is likely that there was a lot of suspended sediment in the brew when it was bottled, so this now needs to settle out, time is the best thing here, and when it is time to pour the beers just be aware that there is quite a bit of sediment so pour carefully to avoid disturbing it.

There are some things that can be done to help with this when brewing, a guide with more info is here on this link if of any interest:

https://homebrewonline.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/457/cloudy-brew-sediment-a-guide-to-reducing-sediment-clearing#latest

It is very likely the bottles will clear with more time, and although it is frustrating waiting, the longer they are left the better they usually taste as the beer conditions and develops more flavour
  • TrevTheBevTrevTheBev Member Posts: 13
    Thank you so much for your reply. I guess I'll just have to sit it out and wait patiently. Let's hope it will be worth the wait as this was one I was so looking forward to.
    They are getting some great reviews so it should be worth it, if it doesn't clear though come back to us
  • WalterWhiteOHomebrewWalterWhiteOHomebrew Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.
    Been using the online kits to brew for a while now. Always follow instructions to the letter and only add what it tells you too. I’m now wanting to branch out a bit and start trying to create my own brews by tweaking the kits, adding different malts, hops etc. Only thing holding me back is all the time and effort it takes to brew to then create something undrinkable. I have twice made Mangrove Juicy fruit IPA which I absolutely loved. Would like it to be stronger than 4% tho like Brewdogs Hazy Jane (9%). I was thinking of just adding two juicy fruit kits together with both yeasts and maybe a bag of Hopped spray malt. Would this make it stronger but still keep the favour? Would the two kit yeasts be enough or would I need an high alcohol yeast? Would this even work??
    Hi WalterWhiteOHomebrew, it can be good to tweak recipes to your own preference once you get into home brewing, and you can alter the flavour to your own preference using hops etc.

There are different ways to do this, you can add hops or a hop teas to add more flavour and aroma, a guide with a little more info on this is here if of any interest:

https://homebrewonline.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/82/add-some-flavour-and-aroma-to-your-beer-kit-by-dry-hopping-and-making-hop-tea#latest

If you add 2 Mangrove Jacks beer kits together this will mean you have double the amount of malt extract and so the taste will be stronger, and it will also increase the strength.

If you just want to increase the strength you can add fermentable sugars, either just sugar, or something such as malt extract or enhancer which contains sugars - these will then ferment out and increase the strength. The main limiting factor to the strength is how tolerant to alcohol the yeast is, once a yeast reaches its maximum alcohol strength limit it dies off, if a yeast dies off before it ferments out all the sugar then the unfermented sugars will make your brew sweet.

There is often no way t know how high a yeast supplied with a beer kit will ferment, unless they supply a branded yeast and it says on the packet, if in doubt add a stronger yeast that you know will definitely ferment all the sugars out. High alcohol yeast are capable of fermenting much higher than standard yeast often included with beer kits, ones such as these:

https://www.home-brew-online.com/ingredients-c45/fermentis-safbrew-s-33-p1391

It is often a case of experimenting to get the flavour you want, just bear in mind the sugars contained in any malt extract or spraymalt you add, and ensure the yeast is capable of fermenting it all out