Skipping sparging

SandySandy Member Posts: 2
Hi Guys

I am a newbie, having made my first brew kit - 40 pints of John Bull Porter - which has turned out well! Beginners luck!

So brimming with confidence, I bought a Braufreund 30 Mash Kettle (cheap version of GrainFather) and planned to do a brew in a bag kit.

I ended up ordering an all grain kit but the instructions said to mash and sparge.

I now think that I should have bought a “partial mash” kit instead as I don’t have a mash tun.
But nevertheless, if I do the following, please will you confirm that what I propose should work anyway.

I will heat mash water in the kettle to 66C, add the grain, stir etc and leave for 1 hour at 66C.
Using the drain tap in the kettle, drain the mash liquid from the kettle into a large jug till it runs clear.
Stop the drain, carefully add back the run-off mash liquid from the jug to the kettle.
Start draining the mash liquid again (now running clear) into a saucepan large enough to allow draining off all mash liquid.

From another large saucepan, add the sparge water to the kettle at 77C, stir the grain and, as before, draw off a jug of liquid till it runs clear.
Once it is running clear, carry on the drain of the sparge liquid from the kettle to the mash liquid in the saucepan till the required amount of wort to be boiled is collected.

Then transfer the wort from the saucepan to the kettle and boil the wort as per the rest of your instructions.

My main concern is that while sparging, if the mash liquid cools below the 66C that the liquid becomes unusable.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    Hello Sandy,

You've done your research, that all sounds spot on. The liquid or 'wort' will be fine if it cools after your have drained it off before the boil. As long as you've done the required mash after that it's totally fine if it cools.

The only thing I would suggest is if you want your mash temperature to be 66°c, heat up the water to about 71 - 72°c before you add the grain. Then when you add the grain this will cool the water and hopefully hit your target mash temperature.

It may need a couple of goes with your set up to hit all the target temperatures/volumes spot on. Remember to note all your quantities and temperatures on your brew day so your can make amendments on your next go.

Happy brewing!

Let us know how it goes.
  • SandySandy Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Thank you for your help.

I've only just got round to making the brew hence my late reply.

Your advice was very useful but I had other problems.

My grain bag was burnt by my kettle and my wort boiled over slightly and despite draining off a gallon I needed to keep a close eye on it to prevent further boil overs.

I am going to re-think my equipment.

Maybe I just need a false bottom or I might just go for a more idiot proof system - a grainfather or equivalent till I get a bit more experience.