Options

cider kit using own apples

yorkiejohnyorkiejohn Member Posts: 2
edited August 2015 in Cider Making
hi guys just juiced of 23 litres from my own apples using a juicers and crushed couple of campdens tablets in to the fermenters bucket with the lid loosely on for a couple of days as advised - apparently this will kill off all the natural yeast and bacteria in the juice. I have to take a hydrometer reading which should be in the region 1040-1056 depending on the apple variety and juice content.

Before I add the pectin enzyme and cider yeast is it best to syphon the liquid to another fermenter to remove all the scum etc from juicing or do I leave everything in the fermenter and just add the above as advised.

any reply's would be helpful

thanks john

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2016
    Hi John, if you have a lot of froth/scum etc on the surface from the pressing then it may be a good idea to syphon it over into a second vessel and then add the yeast to get it fermenting, if however there is only a little froth on the surface it will be fine in the first vessel. If you do have froth on the surface then gently stirring the yeast in will ensure it contacts the liquid and gets off to a good start
  • Options
    yorkiejohnyorkiejohn Member Posts: 2
    thanks for info there is a lot of froth so may syphon in to second vessel

thanks john
  • Options
    JaneJane Member Posts: 37
    Hi John
    I've just chopped pulped and pressed an awful lot of apples, by the time I've finished, probably about 25 gallons! ( new to cider making, but I never do things by halves). Anyway, I also had a fair bit of froth to begin wth. As I added crushed campden tablets initially, I had to wait 24 hours before adding the yeast and in this time the froth and scum subsided quite a bit, so I just went ahead.
    What I will do on the next round, is to add the pectin enzyme several hours before I add the yeast, it seemed better to let the liquid settle down first. Jx